Here are some answers to the questions asked frequently by JETs living in Kochi (and around Japan). If the answer to your question can’t be found here or on this website, make sure to check the GIH. And if you still can’t find the answer to your question, please contact the PAs!



I am leaving JET and I have at least another year left on my visa. How long can I stay in Japan before I have to change my visa?

If you are looking to travel or job hunt, you can stay in Japan on your current visa for another three months. You must then switch it to a temporary visitor visa which will last for another three months.

I’m a third year JET and my visa expires at the end of July but I want to travel for another month after I finish JET. What do I do?

You will need to change your visa to a temporary visitor visa before it expires.






What is the process of scrapping a car?

To find out more about scrapping a car, check out this helpful website: http://www.accessj.com/2012/08/car-recycling-in-japan.html

Essentially, you should already have paid the recycling fee for your car when you purchased your car (even if it was used). You should have received a recycling voucher, which you would need to have when doing your shaken. This recycling voucher would have been passed along to you if you had purchased a car second-hand.

In order to get rid of the car, you need to take it either to a dealer or to a shop that specializes in disposing cars (aka haisha 廃車). Your dealer might not be the one to dispose of the car, they might just send it to the haisha instead. And this is where there recycling fee is used. You shouldn’t have any additional out-of-pocket expenses if you have already paid your recycling fee. For more detailed information, check out the website above.

What is the process of privately selling your car?

First, you need to find a buyer for your car. You can do this in many ways – advertising on Facebook, asking around locally, etc. Once you have a buyer for your car, you and the buyer must sign papers handing over ownership of your car to the buyer. You should be able to get these papers at your dealership. You can also ask your supervisor for help regarding this process.


こちらのウェブサイトに車を廃棄処分する方法についていろいろな情報があります(英語): http://www.accessj.com/2012/08/car-recycling-in-japan.html






Aren’t many disaster shelters too small to cope with a 34m tsunami?

While it is true that the tsunami towers aren’t high enough if the tsunami is very large, the towers are mainly in areas where there is no other nearby high ground in order to give people a better chance than on ground level. Bottom line is tsunami towers should be a last resort if nothing closer is higher, and you should always be on the lookout for higher points near you especially if you are near the coast.

I’ve been getting alerts for X even though live in Y. What can I do to fix this?

These alerts might just be precautionary for the nearby areas. It also depends on where the phone carrier is. The service goes through the phone carriers so it might have something to do with the location settings the carrier has set or where the phone was purchased. Your best bet is to get one of the emergency alert apps listed under the emergency resources page and set your own location.


津波がとても高いと、津波避難タワーの高さが十分ではないのは事実ですが、他に高いところがない地域にいる人にとっては地上にいるよりはよりチャンスがあるように作られています。 近くに高い建物がない場合、津波タワーは最後の手段ともとれますが、海沿いに住んでいる人は日ごろから高いところを探しておく必要があります。




Do PAs themselves get any cultural professional training?

The PAs receive a variety of training at the PA Conference in Tokyo. The PAs also refer to the GIH, advice from the Kencho, the experiences of previous PAs as well as their own experiences here in Japan as a basis for how to be culturally aware and professional in the workplace.