Are you new to Kochi? Welcome! You’re in the right place.
This section is to help you figure out what you need to do and to help you get settle in. A great resource is General Information Handbook (GIH) as it contains information about everything you will need to know while on the JET Program. In particular, there is a very helpful and quite thorough Post-Arrival checklist on page 81 of the GIH.
Kochi Prefectural Orientation
This orientation is for all new JETs arriving in Kochi in August. At this orientation, information regarding living in Japan/Kochi, the JET program, emergency preparation, and so on is provided. This orientation is run by the PAs and Kochi City Hall.
The next Kochi Prefectural Orientation will be August 2019.
Things to do
- Submit your Moving In notice (your supervisor should help you with this)
- Register your contact information with CLAIR via the Contact Information Survey for JET Programme
- Get a hanko (personal seal/stamp) (your supervisor should be able to help you with this)
- Set up your bank account (your supervisor should be able to help you with this)
- Prepare your emergency Evacuation Kit
- Review your contract and make sure you understand all the terms & conditions
Things to ask about
- Ask for/receive your work schedule and confirm your work duties
- Ask for a staff name list/office seating chart so you can get to know the people you work with
- Ask about how to take all forms of annual paid leave and when you can or cannot use them – find out as much as you can about these
- Ask how your local inhabitant (aka residence) tax is handled – is it taken monthely or are you billed yearly?
- How are all of your bill or rent payments handled?
- Where is your closest evacuation centre?
- When are garbage days? How does the garbage collection system work?
If there is anything else you would like to see in this section, please do not hesitate to contact us to let us know!