Bringing prescriptions from home

According the the JET GIH, these are the steps you should take to bring medication from your home country:

  1. Have a doctor in your home country write a prescription or a doctor in Japan prepare documentation (forms without the required amount detailed on them cannot be accepted).

  2. Have the exact amount of medication written on the prescription sent from abroad.

  3. If your medication is withheld by airport customs, it is necessary to acquire a Yakkan Shoumei Certificate. A notification from customs will be sent to you, so please submit the relevant documents to the MHLW. If there are no problems, the MHLW will stamp the certificate and send the relevant part back to you. You should then send this back to customs. Once customs receives your validated Yakkan Shoumei Certificate, they will release the medicine. (However, you may have to pay storage charges, etc.)

For more information about the Yakkan Shoumei certificate and a more comprehensive list of instructions, please check out pages 27-31 of the General Information Handbook.

JET 参加者用ハンドブックによれば、下記の手順に沿って外国から処方薬を手に入れることができます。

  1. 外国の医師に処方箋を、または日本の医師に服用指示書を書いてもらいます(必要な分量が記入されていないものは無効です。)
  2. 方箋に記入されている分量を外国から送ってもらいます。
  3. 医薬品などが空港の税関で止められた場合には、薬監証明を取得する必要があります。薬監証明については、税関から通知が来ますので、厚生局に必要書類を提出してください。書類に問題がない場合、確認済の印を押され、一部を返送されるので、それを税関に送付します。送った薬監証明が税関で受理され次第、医薬品が送られてきます。(ただし、その際、保管料などを支払わなければならない可能性があります。)