General tax information can be found in the GIH on pages 61-63.

**We are not tax experts. If you have any doubts or questions, please check directly with a tax professional. **

Japanese Taxes

If you are not American in your first or second year of the Programme, then you will need to pay taxes in Japan.

There are two kinds of tax here. National Income Tax (所得税shotokuzei) which will be deducted from your salary each month and Residence/Inhabitants Tax (住民税 jyuuminzei) which may or may not be deducted from your salary depending on the method used by your CO. Residence Tax is calculated on your previous year’s income (Jan1st-Dec 31st), but is calculated in January and payments start in June. It is important to find out which system your CO uses in case you will be expected to make an annual payment in June. Residence Tax is calculated on your previous years income, if you have dependents and what city/town or village you live in. 1st year JETs can expect to pay around 50,000 yen, 2nd-5th year JETs should budget for up to 200,000 yen for their Residence Tax payment.

Tax Information for Other Countries:

If there is anything else you would like to see in this section, please do not hesitate to contact us to let us know!